Re: After Creating New Dtabase...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:53:26 +1000

"Arijit Chatterjee" <arijitchatterjee123_at_yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:ea01504d.0406170143.4f7f1f34_at_posting.google.com...
> Thanks Howard,
> Thanks for your advice.But last time when I installed oracle on that
> time I faced a probs and solved that through tnsnames.ora.My os is
> windows 2003 advance server.

Yes. And?

You can solve this problem, too, by knowing how to work with the tnsames.ora, or by using ORACLE_SID properly. Either will work. You want to connect to a second instance... you therefore want to tell Oracle 'don't connect to the first/default instance, connect to the one I tell you'. You do that by having a tnsnames entry for the second instance, and connecting something like connect system/dizwell_at_seconddb. Or you tell Oracle "I have just changed what the default instance is, so please connect to that new default", which you do by setting ORACLE_SID=SecondDB at a command line just before invoking SQL Plus and then just doing connect system/manager.

If there isn't an "@" part of the connect string, Oracle uses the ORACLE_SID setting to work out what it should connect to. Or you use the "@" bit (and a properly-configured tnsnames) to be explicit about what you want to connect to.

And bear in mind as I mentioned before that users connect to the *listener*, not an instance. It's just that the listener is programmed to forward their connection onto an instance of the appropriate name. So the tnsnames.ora references the port of the listener.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 04:53:26 CDT