Re: Please help: stuck with ORA-12514

From: Anonymous Coder <no_at_email.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:13:48 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>Then you don't have automatic instance registration sorted out, do you?

As I said, I'm a complete Oracle newbie. :) I think I have a decent grasp of database programming... but when it comes to administration, I'm on a "hello world" level.

>Did you stop and re-start your instance as I mentioned? Instances only
>register themselves at startup, unless you are prepared to wait 5 minutes.
>Or, you can log on and force registration, because you have 10g. Alter
>system register.

Hmm, I thought I did... but now I did it again and now it works as it should.

Dienst "odb1.local" hat 1 Instance(s).
  Instance "odb1", Status READY, hat 1 Handler f³r diesen Dienst...     Handler:

      "DEDICATED" festgelegt:0 abgelehnt:0 Status:ready
         LOCAL SERVER

Dienst "odb1XDB.local" hat 1 Instance(s).   Instance "odb1", Status READY, hat 1 Handler f³r diesen Dienst...     Handler:
      "D000" eingerichtet:0 abgewiesen:0 aktuell:0 max:1002 Status:ready
         DISPATCHER <machine: HARDY, pid: 860>
         (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=hardy)(PORT=2575))

Now, everything works as it should - thanks a lot!

>>[...]
>> and where does it read the
>> INSTANCE_NAME and DB_DOMAIN parameters from?
>
>Oh dear. You do need to do just a *little* bit of background reading I
>think.

Absolutely. I have seven Oracle and PL/SQL books from the library sitting on my desk... but none of them helped me with this issue, because I had no clue what to look for. (Plus, they focus on the developer side of things.)

>Get yourself the concepts guide from http://tahiti.oracle.com.

I will.

>These
>are init.ora parameters, which are probably for you actually spfile
>parameters. The init.ora is a text file which tells the instance how to
>behave. It's stored in ORACLE_HOME\database and is called init<SID>.ora. In
>9i and above, there may be a binary version of it (instead of, or as well
>as, the init.ora) which is stored in the same place but called
>spfile<SID>.ora. Hence the binary version is known as the spfile.
>
>Run SQL Plus from the command line, and you can check the values of
>parameters like so
>C:\>sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

Ah, interesting... I thought I couldn't use sqlplus *at all* before I sorted that ORA-12514 out.

>SQL> show parameter instance
>
>NAME TYPE VALUE
>------------------------------------ --------------------------------- -----
>-
>active_instance_count integer
>cluster_database_instances integer 1
>instance_groups string
>instance_name string win92
>instance_number integer 0
>open_links_per_instance integer 4
>parallel_instance_group string
>parallel_server_instances integer 1
>
>Or:
>
>SQL> show parameter service
>
>NAME TYPE VALUE
>
>------------------------------------ --------------------------------- -----
>-------------
>mts_service string win92
>service_names string
>win92.dizwell.com
>
>And, perhaps importantly for you:
>
>SQL> show parameter spfile
>
>NAME TYPE VALUE
>------------------------------------ --------------------------------- -----
>-------------------------
>spfile string
>%ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\SPFILE%
>
>ORACLE_SID%.ORA
>
>...which tells me I am indeed using an spfile and not an init.ora, so if I
>want to edit the value of any parameters, then I must do so using alter
>system commands, because only the instance can actually edit the binary
>spfile (any old text editor can be used to edit the text-based init.ora).
>You may want to read all about working with the spfile in my 9i New Features
>e-book available for download at www.dizwell.com (see chapter 6).

Added to my "to read" stack :)

>>I don't see it in my task
>> list, but I guess it SHOULD be running...?
>
>Er, I have no idea what task list you are looking at. This is all done with
>a text editor and a command line.

The Win2000 task manager... as you said "process" I thought it was an actual, separate program which I didn't find to be running. Now I see that's not the case.

>You mentioned in your first post that you are something of an Oracle newbie.
>Fair enough... we all started somewhere. But do yourself a big favour and
>make friends with tahiti.oracle.com. Download at least the concepts guide,
>and read that for a day or two. It will at least give you a flavour of the
>'geography' of Oracle, so you won't feel quite so lost when someone mentions
>things like "PMON" or "INSTANCE_NAME". You need to know your background
>process names, I think, and also know when someone is quoting initialisation
>parameters at you. You need to know how to startup and shutdown an instance,
>from the command line. You should know the difference between an instance
>and a database. And you should know how to manage a database without the
>help of GUI tools. The concepts guide will help you achieve all of that, and
>you'll find lots of practical SQL to try out as well by reading my e-book
>I've already shamelessly plugged once.

I'll definetly do.

Thanks again for your help - it's very much appreciated. Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 02:13:48 CDT