Re: database market share 2003

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 16 Jun 2004 21:00:52 -0700

Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com> wrote in message news:<cappop$pkr$1_at_hanover.torolab.ibm.com>...

> But now I'm curious where Noons allegation comes from?

Allegation? Let me see: I made a STATEMENT, which you now turn into an "allegation"? Here it is again: Oracle is the database that most matches the 12 rules. As in CURRENTLY. Care to dispute that?

> Even if Oracle were to have scored higher in 198x. I hardly see this as
> relevant.

I couldn't care less what Oracle scored then. What it scores NOW is what matters. Much better than anything else. Certianly better than SQL Server or any of that crap. And there are another 12 rules to contend with, not just Codd's. But I won't go there, for fear of confusing the folks. Looks like serious, fact based argumentation is not their forte...

> I for one was a pimpled teen learning Z80-Assembler at the time and
> considered buying the Amiga.

Pity. I had been in IT then for > 10 years. You'd have enjoyed using DB2 then...

> Certainly I don't want to be compared using those old photos ;-)

Old photos? You see, this is where you gotta start getting real.

Relational principles and rules/laws are NOT photos to be discarded as soon as the fad goes. These are facts, theorems, mathematics. They are timeless. They got no "version" to hide under. Just like gravity hasn't changed since Newton. It's called a scientific base, something most modern software sadly lacks. Received on Wed Jun 16 2004 - 23:00:52 CDT