Re: Multiple LISTENERs conflict on same machine

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2004 16:32:26 -0700

"Oracle-User" <austint_at_vsnl.com> wrote in message news:<HzEzHA.D2A_at_news.boeing.com>...
> I have installed Oracle 9i database server on an HPUX box which had an
> existing Oracle 8i server installed.Now I am not able to start the LISTENER
> processes for both the servers simultaneously. Can this problem be resolved
> by changing the listener process name for one of the servers, or is having
> different port numbers sufficient?
>
> Thanks
> AXT
Just use the 9.2 listener(s). stop using the 8i listener(s). chances are, you still have security vulnerabilities in the 8.1.7.4.x one(s).

The only difficulty that you may have, would be in having dynamic registration work properly with multiple listeners. This is what the parameter local_listener is for. By providing a tns alias in the init.ora file (or spfile) that has connect descriptors for each listener, dynamic registration will work properly with multiple listeners. Reasons for using multiple listeners would be:

Pd Received on Wed Jun 16 2004 - 18:32:26 CDT