Oracle Database Auditing - Some more questons

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2004 13:10:47 -0700

I have no choice but to implement Oracle database auditing. I have to retain
audit data for 8 years for legal reasons. My questions are:

  1. I presume, I can alter sys.aud$ table storage parameters to hold a large amount of data.
  2. If sys.aud$ table extends to several giga bytes. will it create any performance problems for database operations. As sys.aud$ table grows, performance of inserts in this table should not change all that much.
  3. Is it possible to keep sys.aud$ in tablespace other than system. I am using Oracle8i. I have read conflicting articles on keeping sys.aud$ table in non system tablespaces (some articles say, it is not Oracle supported but it can still be done).
  4. I presume when I look in sys.aud$ using Oracle's commands, there are indexes on this table so I should be able to look at the information fast.
  5. I know some people periodically move data from sys.aud$ table to some other table. My question is if I move data to some other table can I still use Oracle's audit commands/views to search into new tables or I have to write my own scripts.
  6. I want to do some minimal security auditing for Sarbanes Oxley compliance, does any one have recommendations what "events" to audit. Right now, I have been told to audit loon/logoff, any structural changes to database, any password changes, profile changes.

Appreciate your answers,

Prem
Certified Oracle 8, 8i and 9i DBA Received on Wed Jun 16 2004 - 15:10:47 CDT