Re: rman cloning on a different host seprated 350miles

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2004 11:52:19 -0700

hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk (hrishy) wrote in message news:<4ef2a838.0406152039.5527e558_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi Folks
>
> I have been reading about duplicating a database using rman. We are
> doing our rman backups directly to tape using Netbackup media
> mangement. The target database (our production dB) and the duplicated
> database is seperated by 350 miles
>
> What I'm trying to learn is if I can ship the tape to where the
> duplicated database will live, tell NB about the tape and then do the
> duplication process
> will it work ?

Yes, this is how I do it for standby (well, I'm copying the backups off disk to tape), as it is faster than shipping it over the network. However, at least in 8i, there are some strangenesses apparently due to it assuming you are on the same machine because of what's in the control files or something. So you have to be careful about changing directory structures and where you put archived logs. That's just a Simple Matter of Testing and Configuration. (For historical reasons, I'm running the duplicate command from the original machine, I hope that isn't a prerequisite - hmmm, see metalink notes 73912.1 and 73974.1).

Don't forget to post version and platform information, it is especially important for these types of questions.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?query=informatics&action=Search+OMD