Re: Logs full

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:02:01 -0500

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:05:50 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>"DB2 Convert" <db2convert_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> When my redo logs are full and I am running NO Archive Log mode,
>> will the whole thing just hang?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> DB2 Convert
>
>Nope. The logs just recycle, and hence the redo generated by earlier
>transactions is over-written by later ones. That actually happens whether
>you're in archivelog mode or not... the only difference is, do we take a
>backup of the log before recycling it or not?
>
>If you *were* in archivelog mode, then your system can actually hang! If
>you've said 'take a backup before recycling' (which is what archivelog mode
>means), but you don't actually switch on the ARCH background process to do
>the actual backing up, then the system hangs, waiting for the backup to take
>place.
>
>But in noarchivelog mode, then no hang happens.
>
>Regards
>HJR

And to carry that a bit further . . .

If you do have archiving turned on, you can hang if the archive log destination fills up (or otherwise becomes unavailable for writing the logs). Fortunately, Oracle will wait patiently for the problem to be resolved, then quite happily pick up and continue on. Received on Wed Jun 16 2004 - 08:02:01 CDT