Re: database market share 2003

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:46:12 -0400

Noons wrote:
> Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com> wrote in message news:<camp3h$dho$1_at_hanover.torolab.ibm.com>...
>

>>Do you have any data to back up the claim that Siebel's premier
>>development platform and internal systems ran first DB2 mainframe?

> Other than its deranged architectrure? no.
Thought so.
>>Fact is that when Oracle started competing with their apps vendors those
>>vendors try as best as they can to distance themselves from Oracle.

> No. They try as best as tehy can to ALSO BE AVAILABLE on
> Oracle's competitive products. Got the diff?
These two sentences do not conflict with each other. When an App is sold into a new account (one that doesn't have a natural bias due to an existing DBMS install - and hence skills) the app vendor has great influence which DBMS will be sold.
If an App vendor competes with the DBMS vendor for the App space then every sold DBMS of that vendor funds teh competitive product line. So it's in the App vendors best interest to _lead_ with another DBMS. Of course the App vendor will rather sell with any DBMS than not at all even if the vendor is competition.
That's the mechanics of the market.

> Let me see if I can use small enough words so that some
> guys can understand:
>
> the fact that a maker ports its product to another
> database does NOT mean that the initial database
> has stopped being used or supported by this
> same maker. Got it, or is the concept too hard to grasp?
I don't think that claim was made anywher in this thread. Certainly not by me.

>>I don't know how far along Siebel is converting it's development
>>platform from Oracle to DB2.

> Along nowhere. It's not CONVERTING, it's PORTING.
> Crap, you people are thick sometimes...
Let's switch examples:
Oracle claims to have (or being in progress of) CONVERTED their development platform (from Sun ?) to Linux. DB2 for LUW main development platform is AIX (it probably was CONVERTED from OS/2 a long time ago).
Neither statement says anything about with OS are supported.

The main development platform is the one that is first tested and hence usualy first certified because the developers touch it every day. It is also the one which developers tune against by default because developers learn it's intricate details.
All other platforms usually end up getting either workarounds or additional deep integration.

It is really important to not just pick out a single buzz word, rip it out of context and go ballistic on a different potential meaning.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau