Re: database market share 2003

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:34:28 -0400

Daniel,

Interesting that you need 'college classes' for your pet db and the other database products are easy enough to use that they really don't require much training, if any, of any kind, formal or informal. In fact, training appears to be more of a necessity for Oracles' complex product line than any other database product despite Larry claiming at one time in the recent past to reduce complexity. Oracle is about making money more than anything, hat's off to them, but that doesn't make them better than the others--which I think is the point you and Mark want to make on a regular basis. Quantity vs quality. Form vs substance. Where's Woody Allen?

SQL-Server installs in about 10 minutes, same for the others. Most if not all RDBMS products function in an operational mode without the need for anyone trained or untrained to maintain them--except maybe according to you Oracle needs training, and what does that really say about the product that it needs so much hand-holding?

Your condescending remarks about CRM/MRP products also is interesting in that these are products that are indeed commercial enterprise applications with training programs typically of their own, they may or may not appear in a college setting, nor would anyone expect them too. This doesn't make them worthless which is what you're trying to say, as if Oracle is the only product worth considering. You also try to suggest that Oracle is somehow more legitimate for having 'college classes' as if academic standing is important. The banality would be complete to hear about Oracle 'fellows'--which works for IBM, but it would be so ridiculous if Oracle started doing that. An Oracle Fellow, that would be hilarious.