Re: -- scheduled timer process if power is off?

From: David Best <davebest_at_usa_dot_net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:34:52 -0700

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a scheduled job which starts at 17:00 hours on the first day of
> > the month. Now it is possible that on this day (if it's in the
> > weekend) the server is not on. What is going to happen if the server
> > is switched on one day later. Does the job run afters startup??
> > Is the job ignored and will the job run on the first day of the next
> > month?
> >
> > Thanks for all answers!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Anneke
> > The Netherlands

I note in Oracle 9.2.0.1 with JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES > 1 that the order that past due jobs are run is undefined. If jobs are scheduled for 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 hours, and the server is stopped at 14:00 and restarted at 18:00, the 3 jobs will be run, but not necessarily in chronological order. I've not tested the behaviour with only one job queue process.

I mention this because I had a design which required strict serialization of some jobs, and had to redesign it due this restart behaviour. I could find no discussion of the issue in the Oracle docs, but in hindsight it make sense to have maximum parallelization on startup. Still, if there is a way to guarantee that the jobs are run chronologically on restart I would be interested to know about it.

Dave Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 12:34:52 CDT