Re: How to make Oracle10g on Windows *not* start on every boot?

From: Thomas Kellerer <OSCUQDVXTKFJ_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:53:37 +0200

On 15.06.2004 14:47 Anonymous Coder wrote:
> I installed Oracle10g Enterprise on Windows 2000, but after the first
> reboot, Oracle was up and running, which is not what I want. I want to
> be able to start it when I need it, and terminate it afterwards, to
> save boot time and system resources.
>
> Which is the best way to do this? Will installing it as "Personal"
> instead of "Enterprise" have any effect on this? When I installed
> Oracle9i Personal under Windows 98, there two were start menu entries
> "start oracle" and "shutdown oracle" - just what I want.
>
> Thanks

Goto to the control panel, open the Services snap-in and set the type to "Manual" for the services in question.

You can start the manually either from within the Services snap-in or via the net start command. I create a batch file with the following contents to start Oracle:

net start OracleOraHome92TNSListener
net start OracleServiceORADB

To stop it I use

net stop OracleServiceORADB
net stop OracleOraHome92TNSListener

The name of the service depends on your installation (ORADB is the SID)

Thomas Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 07:53:37 CDT