Re: Please help: stuck with ORA-12514

From: Anonymous Coder <no_at_email.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:41:17 GMT

First of all, thanks for your very detailed reply :)

>Now to control what service *you* are asking to connect to, your
>tnsnames.ora needs to be correct. To control what service the listener is
>aware of, your init.ora/spfile needs to be correct. So stop mucking around
>with your listener.ora. It should read:
>
>LISTENER =
> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hardy)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> )
> )
>
>That's all. We don't need your SID_LIST bit yet, nor do we need the EXTPROC
>bits and pieces. And I hope "hardy" can be pinged and gets resolved to an IP
>address correctly.
>
>Stop your listener and re-start it.
>>Now shutdown and re-start your instance. With that done, type at a command
>prompt:
>
>lsnrctl services

This gives me a message which translates to "Connected to [...]. The listener does not support any services. Command completed successfully".

>How does the listener become aware of an instance in the first place? By a
>process called dynamic instance registration, which causes the PMON
>background process to register itself with the listener about every five
>minutes (or, in 9i R2 and above, when you ask it with the 'alter system
>register' command). PMON uses whatever the INSTANCE_NAME and DB_DOMAIN
>initialisation parameters are set to as its registration information, unless
>you over-ride those two by setting SERVICE_NAMES explicitly.

Where does this process come from, and where does it read the INSTANCE_NAME and DB_DOMAIN parameters from? I don't see it in my task list, but I guess it SHOULD be running...?

>But you may want to get yourself an installation where all the relevant
>services start and stop correctly before bothering too much. I smell a clean
>Windows installation in the offing.

Indeed, from what you just told me, it looks like my Oracle installation is screwed up. The strange thing is that it was almost the first program I installed after a fresh install of Win2000 (with latest drivers, SP4, and Windows Update). Ah well. Maybe I should use the "standard install" and not bother with the advanced options :)

Thanks a lot Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 07:41:17 CDT