Re: Where to find discussion of EJB vs Database

From: Mark Rittman <mark_at_rittman.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:02:55 +0100

Hans,

You might be interested in this blog posting http://www.rittman.net/archives/000860.html which looked at some of the concerns around objected-orientated developers (originally in the context of agile development) treating Oracle as a 'bit bucket' for storing data in. What I thought was interesting was Jeremy Millar's comments re: Toplink, which apparently addresses some of these concerns (lets you design o-o, but deals with the Oracle database intelligently, supposedly best of both worlds), and the comment by Andy Todd which I think sums up what is probably the best approach -
"I think the best approach is to use the strengths of your database in combination with the strengths of your programming language. On the continuum between fully object oriented and fully database centric I think that the sweet spot lies somewhere in the middle. If you veer to far to one side or the other then you are doing yourselves (and your customers/users) a disservice."

rgds

Mark