Re: Where to find discussion of EJB vs Database

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:35:01 -0700

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>>Hans Forbrich wrote:
>><snipped>
>>
>>>TIA
>>>/Hans
>>>forbrich at remove_this dot telus planet dot net
>>
>>No point in restating Tom Kyte's arguments as they are solid and
>>stand on their own.
>>
>>But here are a few thoughts of mine:
>>
>><also snipped>

> Good points, and I have used them in my discussions.
>
> What I'm after is reference to external material so the argument is not
> coming from a "DB bigot" such as myself.
>
> /Hans

That's more difficult to find. How about quoting an instructor at the University of Washington that teaches both Oracle and Java (JDeveloper) courses?

Just try to keep a straight face.

The bottom line is that the arguments stand on their own. Anytime the Java developers don't want to buy it give them a schema and tell them to write an application that guarantees data integrity between two tables with a parent-child relationship. Make the tables very simple such as:

CREATE TABLE parent (
parent_id NUMBER);

CREATE TABLE child (
parent_id NUMBER,
child_id NUMBER,
somevalue VARCHAR2(20));

After they've built their demo app go in with SQL*Plus and corrupt the entire thing and ask them to explain what happened.

Once again ... try to keep a straight face.

If they tell you that you can't use SQL*Plus ... use MS Access or the free version of TOAD.

Once again ... try to keep a straight face.

That's how I taught the lesson to my class. I don't think they will forget the lesson.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu