Re: Performance Difference

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:39:38 -0700

Greg Chang wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I had 2 Oracle 9 Instances installed on the same Windows 2003 server, the
> first installed called Production Instance, and the second installed two
> weeks later called Test Instance. Two instances are identical as I can tell.
> Before we installed Test, One of the P/L SQL Procedure run on the Production
> took about 1.5 hours to finished, and that is ok,to us, since it handles
> lots of data.
> However after we installed the Test Instance, and imported the production
> database to the Test instance.
> The same procedure runs 9 hours in Production database, and runs 1.5 hours
> in test database.
> Could any one point me a direction to find what caused the difference?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg

Compare v$parameter
Compare v$sgastat
etc.
You say you ran statistics ... but how? I've my doubts. What patch level of 9?

How much memory on this machine?
How is it allocated?
What happens if the second instance is shut down?

BTW ... there is a word for people that put a test database on a production machine. Can't you find another box?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu