Re: 10g Grid and Cluster

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:33:35 -0700

Mr. Chow Wing Siu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanna install 10g Grid option and cluster (same thing?).
>
> Is there any online doc (other than from oracle) which has
> shortcut and overview to install?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Johnson Chow

There is absolutely no relationship between grid and cluster. They are two entirely separate technologies serving two entirely different purposes. The problem here is that Oracle's marketing people have garbled the message.

GRID is nothing more than an extension of OEM that provides many additional capabilities one of which is managing clusters.

10g RAC is pretty much identical with 9i RAC.

That said I'd be very wary of jumping into either technology, depending upon your hardware and operating system, until Oracle releases the first patch. From my experience implementation of both involves numerous challenges due to the fact that Oracle's biggest weakness, the ability to write an installation program, is still alive and thriving.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu