Re: Unicode stuff

From: Paul Brewer <nothing_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:20:37 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:40bd86c0$0$3035$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Thanks to everyone who posted. VC's help here and in email has been
> exceptionally useful. Suffice it to say, I have assorted languages
> simultaneouly displaying, if not in SQL Plus (which doesn't seem up to the
> job of coping with double-byte Unicode stuff) then at least in iSQL*Plus:
it
> was the client wot was killing me.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Hope it's not too late to resurrect this thread. I have a related problem: .NET against 8i databases. I've downloaded a white paper on unicode from Oracle (sorry, don't have the reference to hand but I can get it and post it if anyone is interested).
I admit to being hazy on the unicode issue, and I need to do some reading up, but the problem seems to be that .NET (this is on Windows 2K I think) uses UTF8, but the database (8.1.6) uses WE8ISO8859P9. More recently built databases are 9.2.0.4 with WE8ISO8859P15, and according to the developers this "works OK". With the former, when attempting to call a stored procedure, Oracle throws a character set error (PLS-????). Again, sorry, the error number is at the office and not here, but I will post it tomorrow. Apologies for the incomplete posting; I'm hoping to state the outline here and fill in the details tomorrow; please bear with me...

Thanks,
Paul Received on Sun Jun 13 2004 - 14:20:37 CDT