SYSDATE problem - Oracle - Solaris

From: bunky <kpatton_at_indy.rr.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2004 05:57:15 -0700

Background:
Dev database - Solaris 2.x, Oracle 8.1.7.1 Test database - Solaris 8.x, Oracle 8.1.7.1

Issue: I have a stored procedure which contains the following assignment:
v_date := SYSDATE;

This procedure runs fine on our Dev database, but when we tried to run it on the Test database (note environment differences above) it makes the stored procedure throw off errors and eventually I receive the generic ORA-03113 end-of-file communication channel error.

On the Test database, I changed this SP code to perform a more traditional assignment of the date:
Select SYSDATE into v_date from dual;

This works fine on the Test database.

Any ideas as to why the first assignment of SYSDATE is causing errors on my Test database? Received on Sat Jun 12 2004 - 07:57:15 CDT