What can be the cause for corrupted index?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:01:34 GMT

Today I've got a
ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [12700] , [34201], [172070506], [92], [], [], [], []

After going to metalink, and reading
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=153788.1&blackframe=0 and
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_id=155933.1&p_database_id=NOT

tools/queries provided have helped me determine that I had a corrupted index (index was pointing to a rowid that didn't exist)

However, data corruption has never happenned to me before, besides cases where serious hardware problems existed.

Do these corruptions usually happen for a reason?

The only thing I can think of, 3 days ago we had a situation where 2 servers were attempting to start the database at the same time (it's a Veritas Cluster environment, both servers managed to mount the same file systems, one server went into 'sleep' mode, the other started the db, then first 'woke up'), which resulted in an ORA-1122 at one of the oracle starts (scared me for a while). However, the second server never got to 'open' the database, just mounted.

I guess I should run dbv on all datafiles now just to make sure. Theory goes that there are mechanisms in place to prevent writing from 2 machines to the same file.. I guess I should go dbv all files now just to make sure.
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 16:01:34 CDT