Re: Oracle 9.2.0.5 patch set installation on HPU NIX

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2004 13:29:11 -0700

johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net (John Hurley) wrote in message news:<d4d6f278.0406101054.12a3b6ad_at_posting.google.com>...
> Backup everything including your inventory and oracle home first.
>
> The 10g installer that is required (WHY?) for the 9.2.0.5 patchset
> needs to go into the existing 9i Oracle home ... not a new OUI Home
> that it defaults to prompting you to create.

It is important to have standby database for tesing as well because purpose of test enviornment to be
able to test things beffore they go in quality and production. Qulaity and production environments are
so much dependent that patches testing cannot be done in them. I have worked in MARC projec where there
is no standby database for testing as a result impact of Oracle changes etc cannot be tested on standby database. MARC is planning to add a test database for standby tetsting.

.

> At that point the pathname below should show the correct path for
> existing 9i home.
>
> There are a bunch of gotcha's and issues with this patchset read thru
> very carefully the KNOWN ISSUES for 9.2.0.5 before attempting to
> proceed.
>
> Good luck

John Hurley:

It works now. Thanks a lot, I still wonder why default home shown does not work (and gives error this home alredaa exist), but selecting from the pull down list works.

 Seems strange. I did not see it documented anywhere.

Prem Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 15:29:11 CDT