Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:08:52 GMT

Ian wrote:
> Mark Townsend wrote:
>

>>> If one submitts an article to IDUG or DBM Tech it is _mandatory_ to
>>> clarify the applicability in the title if a talk is not cross-platform.
>>

>> Here are session titles from this years IDUG Conferences - very few of
>> them cross platform, and not a single one with any sign of platform
>> applicability. I guess we need to differ of what _mandatory_ means as
>> well.
>>

> You're being disingenuous.

Well, only slightly. You really can't tell from the titles, as Serge postulated was a mandatory requirement. And even with a seperate categorization, some papers do seem to be mis-categorized, which I'm sure is just finger trouble

C1: DB2 UDB Internals for Administrators : Complete with V8 Details Matt Huras , IBM Toronto Lab

Speaker: Matt Huras, IBM Toronto Lab

Full Abstract: This presentation will give administrators the key information they need to most effectively manage their installations. It will provide the inside scoop on how DB2 on the UNIX, Windows and Linux platforms works internally. Special focus will be given to the new features in V8, including: type 2 indexes, multi-dimensional clustering, the connection concentrator, null/default compression, dynamic memory tuning, widened 64-bit support, and other V8 features.

Presentation Platform: Cross Platform

What is interesting is that at the Orlando event there are 82 papers marked as OS/390, 53 as LUW(Ser), and 61 as Cross Platform. Do the iSeries folk get their own conference, just not travel, or just not care ? So how much of the original market share numbers were attributable to the iSeries platform again ? Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 11:08:52 CDT