Re: database market share 2003

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:51:13 +1000

Mark A allegedly said,on my timestamp of 11/06/2004 11:23 PM:
> I understand English if that's what you mean. And below is what you said.
> Retraction please.
>
> "Funnily enough, I see NO ONE "porting" their apps to "something else". But
> that must be an internal IBM "vision"..."

Nope. I stand by what I said. The apps that had to be ported to other environments have been so. In the last 5 years or so. And they happily run in SQL Server, DB2 AND Oracle. Since then, nothing much anywhere.

As for anyone moving their in-house code FROM Oracle to DB2, like I said: that is not porting, that is a conversion. And it happens in ALL directions and for ALL products, not just one. Not significant.

Ah yes, I've seen a lot of move away FROM Informix, that is a fact. Unfortunately. But I'm sure IBM will find a way of calling it DB2 as well. Real soon now. Then it will all be alright and IBM will "increase" its market "share"....

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto