Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:00:22 -0600

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:40c9833c$0$1582$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Mark A allegedly said,on my timestamp of 11/06/2004 3:02 PM:
>
> > You make it sound like IBM has the power of the mafia. I don't think so.
>
> I very much think so, having been on the receiving end of their
> sales techniques for a looooooong time....

Sales techniques? Maybe you could explain your libelous statement in detail. I doubt very much that your were in a decision making postion anyway, which is what you are really complaining about.

> > Actually, a surprising number of companies have purchased Oracle for
OS/390.
> > Oracle gave me 5 references in the Fortune top 25 companies in the US. I
> > checked all 5 out, and all 5 purchased it, but not one was using it for
> > production system.
>
> That to me spells one thing and one thing only: there is a surprising
> number of companies that are looking at ANY way of becoming LESS
> dependent on IBM. I wonder why...
> Unfortunately, there are very few people left around that know
> exactly how to take advantage of that.
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto

Not exactly. You have a limited imagination. They bought Oracle on a smaller platform and believed the hype that Oracle could successfully port their application to any platform. As one consultant told me, the reason that people buy Oracle on OS/390 (even though it doesn't work well on that platform) is the same reason that people buy pet rocks. Now that is real marketing. Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 06:00:22 CDT