Re: SELECT from multiple schemas at ones?

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2004 12:39:22 -0700

"Sten Westerback" <sten.westerback_at_NO_SPAMnokia.com> wrote in message news:<E2_xc.18696$k4.373403_at_news1.nokia.com>...
> Hi
>
> We have a Oracle database server with a handful of
> schemas with the same set of tables (but different data).
> Each schema is accessible with different account&password.
>
> Is it possible to make a query that would search all the
> tables with same name at ones? Or can you for instance
> make a view that joins the tables together with account
> and passwords included and if so.. is that secure?
>
> - Sten

To answer your specific questions:
> Is it possible to make a query that would search all the
> tables with same name at ones?

  YES (assuming "ones" is actually "once")

> Or can you for instance
> make a view that joins the tables together
  Yes (a view is just a select wrapped in table's clothing)

> with account
> and passwords included and if so.. is that secure?
  if you mean the SELECT has the passwords and makes new sessions, then
  NO not possible, and
  security is nonexistant if you have passwords in clear text on a system.

If you RTFM you learn about the data dictionary tables. You'll need to be aware of Privileges and roles also. It's all in the manuals.

HTH,
  ed Received on Thu Jun 10 2004 - 14:39:22 CDT