Re: database market share 2003

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:03:02 -0400

Mark Townsend wrote:

>> "SQL" means MS SQL Server

> Something I'm sure MS are more than happy with.
>
>> UDB means DB2 UDB for Linux Unix and Windows.

> This I just don't buy. You say this, but the IBM web site refers to
> DB2 Universal Database for .... when referring to all three code bases.
>
> And you have documents entitled "DB2 UDB Family On Common Ground".
>
> And these documents say things like "In February of 1999, IBM® announced
> DB2® Universal Database for iSeries (DB2 UDB for iSeries), ..."
>
> Searching for all the following keywords on the IBM website returns vast
> numbers of hits
> DB2 UDB iSeries - 8,691 hits
> DB2 UDB OS/390 - 8,095 hits
> Note that the total nbr of hits for DB2 UDB is only 56,445
>

> This is not accidental or even the result of a legacy. I firmly believe
> that somebody somewhere at IBM is more than happy that some people read
> UDB and mistakenly believe that it's all the same product.
>
> Otherwise all this stuff would have been corrected by now, right ?

Mark, I can't climb into other peoples minds,and I won't even try that with executives.
But if DB2 UDB is best known on the Linux, Windows and Unix platform and has that mindshare -
And Oracle is best known for databases, don't you think IBM executives are as happy as Oracle to implicitly leverage brand-image and carry it over? As you point out yourself, IBM's message there is inconsistent. It's not IMHO ignoring the fact that they are different bases _systematically_ which is what is alleged.
I've never encountered having an publication of mine being polished to exclude the platform identifier. I have seen teh reverse a lot. If one submitts an article to IDUG or DBM Tech it is _mandatory_ to clarify the applicability in the title if a talk is not cross-platform.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau