Re: Oracle 10g on Fedora Core 2

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 10 Jun 2004 00:29:36 -0700

"Mr. Chow Wing Siu" <wschow_at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote in message news:<ca8j6j$16go$1_at_net44p.hkbu.edu.hk>...
> Mr. Chow Wing Siu <wschow_at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote:
> > and stops at:
> > Adding Oracle Intermedia
> > Adding Oracle Text
> > Adding Oracle XML DB
> > Adding Oracle OLAP
> > It seems that all advanced options cannot be installed.
> --------------------
>
> The error is ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>
> I don't know why it stopped at adding Oracle Intermedia.

This is a quite common while using dbca, but I do not think this is a big deal. The first question that came to my mind is if you really need all of these options. Each of them represents a quite big topic and I'm not sure if you want to study all of these. If not you can switch them off before instalation (there is a button on one of the install screens called Options or something like that and also another button with Advanced features or something similar) Even if you really need them don't worry, it is possible to install them later. I do not know OLAP, but the instalations of the first three are a piece of cake. Very easy, very straightforward.
You can also tell dbca just to prepare scripts for you, then manually edit them (if needed) and simply run. Strange is that in some cases dbca is able to prepare perfectly valid scripts, but generate errors if you let dbca to use them. There are clearly some problems in dbca <-> database communication.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.