Re: 9i New Features E-book

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2004 15:12:40 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1086758464.287743_at_yasure>...

> I spent a few years in law school Don ... you missed the most
> important part of the actual application of the law in the U.S.
>
> You must be able to PROVE financial damages to be awarded compensation.
> The number of these suits successfully waged each year is a very small
> number. The number successfully waged against persons in other countries
> ... surely you jest.

That's true, but, sadly, the amount of business affected by the _threat_ of unwinnable or trivially compensable lawsuits isn't small at all. Have you checked how long a civil lawsuit takes lately? They can drag on for years in many US jurisdictions. Twelve IIRC is the most I've seen personally (guy wrote relational db, was dumped, sued, finally won something like 40 grand). IANAL. It took me six+ years to turn a totally bogus suit against me to a malicious prosecution countersuit. YMMV. It's even worse these days with the funding crunches, some courts totally stop civil trials to take care of criminal matters.

In other words, successful wagering isn't the proper metric in the application of the law. Even as applied to trial attorneys track records - most disputes should be settled out of court.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"we are not supposed to use hints. The performance team in Development