help with work project - completely random sample but all numbers picked within 12 tries

From: D <bbcrock_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2004 11:45:29 -0700

This is where my math classes should have come in handy...

I want to do a random sampling of a database of 100k records. I need to completely randomly select a group of records to be processed each month for a year (12 times). A record can be processed more than once and that is preferred- some records must be pulled twice in a year. All records need to be processed by the end of the year (the twelfth sampling).

My idea is to write a random number generator to pick about 10% of the numbers for 10 months and then split the remaining unchosen numbers up for the last two months. The problem is that this will have to pass the eyes of a lawyer to prove it's truly random. I have never worked with randomization before and I don't want to get hung up here.

So how would you do this? Can I write a PL/SQL SP to do this? Does anyone have any examples to share or to point to on the web?

thanks,

Don Received on Wed Jun 09 2004 - 13:45:29 CDT