Re: database market share 2003

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:02:24 -0400

Noons wrote:
> The whole thing could be dropped if IBM used the terms it has always used:
> AS400 SQL, mainframe DB2 and UDB for the rest.
> This idea that "everything is DB2" but in fact isn't is just
> confusing, open to mis-interpretation and a dirt easy target.
> Whoever came up with this at IBM should be summarily shot...
I disagree. Everyone equates Oracle (no qualifier) with the Relational database, yet the same name is used for Apps, and of course the mobile database offering.
IMHO the problem is that DB2 "for the rest of us" never got a clean name that kept steady for several releases.
The lastest crime is "for Muliplatforms" which sounds like Milla Jovovich in the "5. Element" and is largely ignored. And of course there is UWO, LUW, "distributed platforms", "common server", ...
We had similar problems with "SQL Procedural Langage" (SQL PL) which isn't a language at all, really.. It's just SQL. Things need short memorisable names, the market demands it, and if there is none chaos prevails.
It's an IBM blindspot.

Cheers
Serge

--