Re: test restore of a database backup using oraback.sh

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:25:16 +1000

"ddl" <ld_at_mmm12345.com> wrote in message news:ca6nql$pao$1_at_mawar.singnet.com.sg...
> Hi all,
>
> I have made a cold backup of Oracle 8.1.5 instance running on my Solaris 7
> box using oraback.sh.
>
> I have another Redhat Linux 7.3 running Oracle 8.1.7.
>
> I want to do a test restore on this system but have no idea of the exact
> procedures or any pitfalls to watch out for.
>
> Thanks for any advice. Sorry if this is a mediocre question as I am a only
> an Oracle novice.

Fair enough. But you're wasting your time. You cannot transport a datafile (or a backup) created on one O/S and have it work on another. Solaris to Linux is a no-no, just as much as Windows to Linux would be, or Solaris to HP.

It can't be done.

Unless I've misunderstood what exactly it is that you're asking.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jun 09 2004 - 07:25:16 CDT