Re: Backup Recovery - Cold Backup in Archive log mode

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:23:04 +1000

"raj" <rajesh_choprauk_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:80c4d335.0406090252.bd11ec_at_posting.google.com...
> How would I restore if I lost the complete database? If I have the
> last cold backup and archive logs can I stil recover to a point in
> time?

If you lost absolutely everything?

Then you would restore all your data files from your last cold backup. You would also restore your control file. You would not restore your online redo logs, because they won't have been backed up (if you know what's good for you).

You then issue the command, 'recover database until cancel using backup controlfile'. You sit there pressing ENTER until the last archive has been applied. You type the word 'cancel'. You then 'alter database open resetlogs' (which re-creates a new set of online redo logs for you).

You will of course have lost the transactions in the current redo log that was lost, but that's what happens when you lose the current redo log. No amount of backing it up will fix that.

Technically, as soon as you've lost some of your redo stream, that counts as a point in time recovery. But actually, as far as I'm concerned, what you've just done above would better be described as a complete-as-you-can-get recovery.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jun 09 2004 - 07:23:04 CDT