Re: database market share 2003

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:12:53 +1000

Daniel Morgan allegedly said,on my timestamp of 9/06/2004 3:30 PM:

> I think the claim has been made numerous times. And like so much
> marketing hyperbole is one that would best be apologized for.

Yeah, but let's be fair: Serge was talking about a specific thread in the newsgroups where I and a few IBMers got into a bunfight for a while. Pity it is not complete in google. Blair has promised to send me his posts so I can try to make sense of what was said back then by so many of us.

We all know marketeers were AWOL the day God was handing out intelligence. I think it goes for all sides equally: Oracle has come out with some doozies over the years. Let's not mention the other m$ob...

The whole single code base thing is quite bogus, IMHO. Just exactly when is a product single code base? I mean, in my time I've written a fair amount of #define and #ifdef pairs to try and make things work properly everywhere, and that was JUST in the UNIX environment. You should have seen some of my DOS/VSE Assembler macros! I wouldn't recommend that type of coding to anyone, but it had to be done to get over the problems way back then.

In a way the Java generation has it easy: they hardly ever need to bother with this crap. On the other hand they have to contend with J2EE and the lesser said about that, the better...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto