Re: How about an Oracle debate?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 8 Jun 2004 06:51:59 -0700

don_at_burleson.cc (Don Burleson) wrote in message news:<998d28f7.0406070529.2594aaf3_at_posting.google.com>...

<proposal snipped, anyone here knows what we are talking about>

I do not think that any truth can came out of TV style debate. It would be too shallow, too personal, full of unsubstantiated claims. It is going to look like:

HJR: Your index knowledge is crap.
DB: It isn't.
HJR: In your article published in ... on ... you stated that ... and that's simply not true.
DB: According to MY NUMBERS from MY TESTING, this is how indexes in Oracle are working.
HJR: According to MY NUMBERS from MY TESTING, this is utterly crap. DB: It isn't.
HJR: It is.
DB: It isn't.
HJR: It is. Your test is ill-founded because of ... DB: It isn't, your test is ill-founded because of ... SPEAKER: Ok, we have to pause this one hour online debate for two weeks, because we need to replay mentioned tests of both sides.

I think the point is obvious. Oracle internals are too complicated matter to be discussed thoroughly during one hour debate. The end of the debate will be even more hatred in the air and two groups each of them proclaiming its winning and blaming other one for unfair and unsubstantiated arguments. With supporters of both sides celebrating win of their team.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.