Re: OMS doesnt start up after reboot

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:33:38 +1000

"André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:40c5861d$1_at_olaf.komtel.net...

> Okay, se. thanks for this. The Oracle instance that the OEM is connected
> to seemed to be up and running. I tried connecting there using SQL*Plus.
It
> worked. What I didnt do was carry out a statement that would produce
> rollback info, like a DML statement. Then I got error messages coming in
> from end users of applications that work with the said instance reporting
> ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace
>
> So I checked on the instance (9i_at_Win2000) and found that since the
reboot
> it was running with UNDO_MANAGEMENT=MANUAL parameter whereas before it was
> in AUTO mode. Since there is only one rollback segment for system
purposes,
> ORA-01552 was just to obvious to happen. After I set UNDO_MANAGEMENT back
> AUTO, restarted the instance, the users had no complaints anymore and
guess
> what: OEM would come up!
>
> Of course now I wonder how can UNDO_MANAGEMENT just jump from AUTO to
> MANUAL during a reboot ? It puzzles me, I have never observed that before
> and I hope to never observe it again...!

It can't, of course. But what might have happened is that you have an old-fashioned init.ora that was originally used to start the instance which says UNDO_MANAGEMENT=MANUAL, and a new-fangled spfile which has U_M=auto. When you re-boot, you restart the instance. When instances restart in 9i, the spfile takes precedence.

You might want to hunt down all your spfiles and init.ora's, and compare contents to check this theory. Otherwise, with your instance correctly started up from the init.ora, just issue the command 'create spfile from pfile' to make sure both agree with each other.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Jun 08 2004 - 04:33:38 CDT