Re: Info on large tables wanted

From: Romeo Olympia <rolympia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2004 07:06:04 -0700

That could work. But I wonder how easy it would be to handle new requirements from your users. Success in your tasks always invites more work. ;o) Say for instance that instead of half-hour windows, you're asked for daily ones. It would be such a pain referencing several small tables. Even moving them around into a single table is quite expensive.

So before you commit to a particular approach, I strongly encourage you to read that document and other related literature. Always look for a better way; most of the time there is one. For example, your idea above, partitioning might be better. You get a unified view of the data (as a single table) while at the same time, partition pruning ensures that Oracle only reads the relevant partitions (kinda like sub-tables). And if you're dealing with summary figures, you might wanna consider materialized views. I could go on and on because there's just too many possibilities. But just read the doc.

Good luck!

Romeo