Re: database market share 2003

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:39:11 -0400

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> In which way? - your initial well its all pretty much the same really way,
> or your second its all designed for the use to which its put way? And of
> course the billion dollar question - so why not move all the informix guys
> to DB2 - after all it's better right.

DB2 for z/OS and DB2 for AS/400 is better than IDS for z/OS and IDS for AS/400 by
virtue of IDS not being supported there. That was Larry's point. Different codepase allow you to exploit the platforms better.
BTW, Oracle is NOT the same code across their supported platforms. There is a fair bit of deep integration which is one of the reasons why Oracle never ships on the same date for all platforms. IBM has driven deep integration for iSeries to an extreme and for z/OS so far that the code-_bases_ are not the same with DB2 Unix Windows and Linux.
There are some problems you catch along the way, such as sticking to agreed upon semantics (which is a problem folks like I have to deal with) , but it's well worth it, given that these two platforms are so succcessful as to warrant this yearly flame war and many just want them to _go away_ :-)

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau