Re: Export of logical data model

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:37:24 +1000

"André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:40c422de$1_at_olaf.komtel.net...
> Hi everyone,
>
> how can I export from an Oracle Schema the logical data model
(preferrable
> as a SQL script) so that I can feed it into another database management
> system, for example MS Access or MS SQL Server ? I would like to emphasize
> the "logical" part here, because the physical details (tablespaces,
pctfree,
> ....) would not be understood by the other DBMS. So with "logical" I mean
> tables, indexes, constraints, views. Stored procedures and sequences are
> considered optional because in my special case there arent so many of
those
> and there are different ways of doing those in other systems.
>
> I am aware that what ever I get created I would have to post process,
> maybe even manually (for example because data typed might be named
> differently, sets of reserved words do not match totally and so on...),
but
> my main problem is how to get such a script or similar initially so that I
> got something to start from...
>
> AH
> :)

What version of Oracle do you have?

If 9i or above, you could try, from SQL Plus,

connect scott/tiger
set long 4000
select dbms_metadata.get_ddl('TABLE','EMP') from dual; And so on.

Otherwise, using regular export, it's a question of using the indexfile parameter... but that only does tables and indexes, and you won't get your stored procedures or sequences.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Jun 07 2004 - 03:37:24 CDT