Re: database market share 2003

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:27:11 -0400

Noons wrote:

> Serge Rielau allegedly said,on my timestamp of 7/06/2004 10:55 PM:
>

>> Correct. That's how the game goes when one enters the market late.

> Don't know... After all, DB2 commercially PRE-DATES Oracle, funny
> enough!

Yes, just not on Unix and Windows. Brand new codebase. Remember?!
>> When I joined IBM shortly after DB2 V5 shipped I was not certain I
>> made a good move given an abysmal marketshare at the time.
>> Now, tracking the share over 3 releases I think I'm in the right spot.

> DB2 or UDB? You see, that is where these things have to be
> VERY precisely stated, because of this permanent confusion about
> what is what. And is that across the board or just on IBM's own
> Unix boxes?

UDB is not a specifier for the codebase either. When refere to DB2 I uusally refer to DB2 UDB for Linux,Unix and Windows. That's the codebase I work on and it seems the majority of the posters in comp.databases.ibm-db2 use this platforms. (An interesting statistical phenomenon in itself, actually) So I was refering to DB2 UDB V5 for Unix, Windows (and Linux? Don't recall) having had a small marketshare at that point. It was only the second release I think. The first release was only on OS/2 AFAIK and not even yet owned by Toronto. DB2 UDB V5 merged DB2 CS with DB2 PE (shared nothing paralelism). With DB2 PE coming AFTER DB2 for OS/390 already did shared-disk paralelism - to clean up with yet another myth.

Unfortunetely like with many products names sometimes go their own ways. MS folks refer to their product as "SQL" (which makes me reach for teh switchblade) many DB2 folks refer to DB2 for Unix, Windows and Linux as "UDB" because it was the first labeled UDB (the IBM link itself still reflects that heritage). IMHO IBM is rather bad about naming things..... But then again I'm neither marketing nor a smart cookie. So I just shut up :-)

--
Serge Rielau
DB2 SQL Compiler Development