Re: Info on large tables wanted

From: Romeo Olympia <rolympia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2004 20:00:59 -0700

36 million records (or even 150 million) isn't really that big a number. The structure even suggests that your average row length is quite well.. average. Of course it would help if we know your hardware capacity beforehand (number of CPUs, disk configuration, and memory which you already provided).

Your system is probably not a dedicated data warehouse but look up the Data Warehousing Guide for Oracle. The link below is for 9i; find the one for your specific version (hopefully you have at least 8i).

Oracle9i Data Warehousing Guide
Release 2 (9.2)
Part Number A96520-01
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96520/toc.htm

This document will introduce you to the different methods of handling "large" data in Oracle. Things to pay attention to (not exhaustive):

- Partitioning
- Parallelization
- Bitmap indexes (if applicable)
- etc.