Re: AMD/64, SGA size

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:34:43 GMT

Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

> rolympia_at_hotmail.com (Romeo Olympia) wrote in message news:<42fc55dc.0406040836.10cbb36a_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>- Your SGA_MAX_SIZE is set to 1796705872 bytes.
>>- You cannot allocate dynamic SGA components where the combined total
>>is larger than that value.
>>- SHARED_POOL_SIZE is just one of those components. And it seems
>>you're trying to set it to max out your 1796705872 bytes. What about
>>your other components?

> Hello!
> This is reply to all messages ;-)
>
> 1. I run 64-bit OS and 64-bit Oracle.
> 2. SGA_MAX_SIZE is far higher than 4Gb
> 3. Physical RAM is 1Gb

regarding your error..
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02097: parameter cannot be modified because specified value is invalid ORA-04033: Insufficient memory to grow pool

Well DUH!!! How do you expect to have an SGA > physical memory?

from:
Oracle Internet Directory Administrator's Guide

"System Global Area (SGA)
A group of shared memory structures that contain data and control information for one Oracle database instance. If multiple users are concurrently connected to the same instance, the data in the instance SGA is shared among the users. Consequently, the SGA is sometimes referred to as the "shared global area." The combination of the background processes and memory buffers is called an Oracle instance."

and

"Ensure that the total System Global Area (SGA) does not exceed 50% of your system's physical memory. "

Michael.