Re: Any APIs for Backup and Recovery ?

From: GMg <godmanng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2004 17:13:28 -0700

> There aren't any. Or do you want to create your own RMAN?
> The RMAN procedures are available by means of the datadictionary.
>
> I'm not sure what you are up to. With the RMAN tool being available I
> don't think there is any need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for answering. I am not planning to reinvent any wheel. Wouldn't it be good if I can just write a simple java code to call those APIs (granted they are available) and do an online backup. Our size is about 120GB and I think I still can survive without using RMAN. I am using the conventional Alter tablespace begin and end backup. I don't see the advantages over using RMAN at my site at this moment. Maybe someone can convince me to use RMAN, but I doubt it.

Anyone actually using RMAN and how do they like it compare to the old way? Pardon my ignorance, I am not in this business long enough to judge which is the way to go. However, from a developer background, it will be neat if those APIs are available.

 Thanks

 GMg Received on Sat Jun 05 2004 - 19:13:28 CDT