Audting using log miner

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2004 15:48:50 -0700

  1. I have read in several forum discussion that log miner has advantages for auditing because it does not add performance overhead of database auditing. I know log miner does not provide information on slecet statements and it can provide modified values for insert, delete, update. bBut, does log miner really provide most of the information which database auditing provides.

Extracting auditing information from log miner seems to be lot more work than getting similar information from database auditing. Has anyone
developed some packages which are available to others which can be used
to extract auditing information from v%logminer_contents, i.e., who dropped a specific table, when someone logged on to database with dba privileges.

3. Are the performance overhead of database auditing really significant. If I want to monitor 5 key events, is it really going to slow down my database
performance. i.e., will it make everything ~20-30% slower.

4. I have 8i database which generated redo and archived logs. I will be analyzing them using Oracle9i logminer. Will the limtation of Oracle8i logminer such as not fiding chianed rows etc will disappear.

Thanks a lot,

Prem Received on Sat Jun 05 2004 - 17:48:50 CDT