Re: database market share 2003

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:53:38 -0400

"Mark A" <ma_at_switchboard.net> wrote in message news:orawc.73$5Z4.54067_at_news.uswest.net...

> The operating system and much of the system software on it is much more
> stable than Linux or UNIX, which is why many large enterprises rely on it
> for critical applications like banking, reservations, and other critical
> applications. Actually the IBM mainframe boxes themselves run Linux or z/OS.

When did this occur? I thought mainframes ran VM.

> I don't think it is a growth market, nor is it disappearing. The mainframe
> prices keep decreasing, and UNIX boxes get more sophisticated and more
> expensive. So eventually it will probably just come down to which operating
> system you want to use.

Hmmm. Interesting.

> People get too hung-up on the past, and on the names of things. An IBM
> mainframe is just a box, that runs an operating system, and can run local
> application or with remote clients (including web clients). Things change.

( runs around to catch him leaving and makes him stop )

Isn't VM considered one of the best OS's out there? Isn't that the OS on OS/390, or is it another name--guess I'm too much away from mainframe systems?

But imagine this for a moment, Dieing database product hooks up with dieing hardware platform. I mean seriously, it would be interesting to see Informix and z/OS come together in an Open Source project of some kind. Like start out with just putting Informix SE on z/OS. WTF they're both dying animals, give it a shot. Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 21:53:38 CDT