Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 20:43:51 -0600

> > Support service for OS/390 is being discontinued and is replaced by
z/OS. It
> > is basically the same thing as OS/390, but with enhanced ability to
perform
> > as a server to web clients.
> >

> OMG. Are you human? Just kidding! Seriously, is there something about
> this platform that is compelling enough to consider it instead of doing
things
> on Linux or UNIX? Is z/OS a growth market or just something gradually
> disappearing?

The operating system and much of the system software on it is much more stable than Linux or UNIX, which is why many large enterprises rely on it for critical applications like banking, reservations, and other critical applications. Actually the IBM mainframe boxes themselves run Linux or z/OS.

I don't think it is a growth market, nor is it disappearing. The mainframe prices keep decreasing, and UNIX boxes get more sophisticated and more expensive. So eventually it will probably just come down to which operating system you want to use.

People get too hung-up on the past, and on the names of things. An IBM mainframe is just a box, that runs an operating system, and can run local application or with remote clients (including web clients). Things change. Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 21:43:51 CDT