Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:59:03 -0600

> > so far as i know, oracle is oracle is oracle, no matter the platform.
> > not so for DB2:
> >

> Oracle is oracle is oracle?
> Why then does Oracle publish, next to their general documentation, also
> quite a few manuals specifically for Oracle on OS/390 ?

Oracle on OS/390 is basically the same codebase as the other Oracle platforms. Which is the reason that it works so poorly on OS/390 and few of the companies who have it installed use it for production applications.

Then why do companies (over 500) buy Oracle for OS/390 if it works so poorly compared to DB2 for OS/390. One consultant told me: "For the same reason that people buy pet rocks." Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 17:59:03 CDT