Re: "Delta" or "elapsed" time column in Oracle

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:19:16 +0100

Bill McLaughlin wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for the info. I ended up using the INTERVAL DAY
> TO SECOND to store the data. I hope I made the right choice. Now my
> main problem is using this column in calculations. It's easy to select
> based on interval ranges, but I am having difficult using other
> functions (like mean and average) as they are expecting numeric
> values. I am going through the SQL reference to find the solution.
> However, if anyone can point me to any specific documentation or
> examples I'd appreciate it.

Now you know why I didn't recommend INTERVAL DAY TO SECOND. :)

Also: Are you planning on using JDBC to access this table? The JDBC drivers don't support the INTERVAL data types very well.

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin, Ireland

Orinda Software makes OrindaBuild, which can write a java class to run any SQL statement
www.orindasoft.com Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 03:19:16 CDT