Re: help, auto startup (open) of Oracle 8 db

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:29:08 +0200

Tim Jowers wrote:
> Oracle services start fine but the database has to be "opened" with
> DBA Studio before it may be accessed. Is there anyway to get the
> database to startup automatically?
>
> What works:
> 1) Oracle services startup fine
> 2) Open DBA Studio, "BTGWS304 - SYSTEM AS SYSDBA" -> Instance ->
> Database and then click the "Open" radio button and click Apply. Says
> it will use the file
> c:\oracle\oracle81\sysman\ifiles\def_BTGWS304.ora. Messages are
> "starting up the database", "mounting the database", "opening the
> database", and "processing completed."
>
> What I tried:
> 1. Checked that ORA_BTGWS304_AUTOSTART is set to "TRUE". (REG_SZ)
> 2. Made sure the following servies are running and autostart.
> OracleOraHome81DataGatherer
> OracleOraHome81PagingServer
> OracleOraHome81TNSListener
> OracleServiceBTGWS304
> 3. Verfied that TNSName has the right entry for
> jdbc:oracle:thin:@portal:1521:btgws304 where portal is the machine
> name and btgws304 is the database instance.
>
> BTGWS304 =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = PORTAL)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = btgws304)
> )
> )
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
> TimJowers

Open a DOS-Box, invoke svrmgrl and connect internal. At the svrmgrl> prompt type startup open. I'd suspect your pfile is either corrupt or missing where oracle is searching for it.

Check if there is a file initbtgws304.ora in c:\oracle\oracle81\database, if not copy c:\oracle\oracle81\sysman\ifiles\def_BTGWS304.ora over.

If there is such a file, check the differences to the one you're using when starting manually with DBA Studio.

HTH Holger Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 02:29:08 CDT