Re: A replication question/mlml

From: Michel Lee <ae299_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 4 Jun 2004 15:07:12 GMT

Thanks for the reply.
I have some comments,...

"Jonathan Lewis" (jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk) writes:
> The way you describe it, you have a small
> table in one database that captures the data,
> and has to forward the data on a fairly
> regular basis to a database that accumulates
> the entire history of captured data.
>
> What happens to the small table after the
> data has been forwarded ? Is the data
> cleaned out ready for the next batch to
> accumulate, or does it stay there being
> updated?

it rows stays there for a few months before it gets deleted. only inserts should be copied, update will not be performed.

> When the data is sent to the large table
> do you guarantee that all the rows should
> be inserted into the large table, or might
> some of them have to be updates ?

all will be inserts.

> If my initial assumptions are correct, then
> you could do something like this:
>
> Make the small table a partitioned table
> with a single partition.
>
> On demand (or through dbms_job)
> exchange the partition with an empty table.
> this isolates the data from new incoming
> data and makes it easy to make sure that
> you go wrong in a two-step insert/delete.
> (An alternative is to play around with
> synonyms or views to make the same
> break).
>
> use the insert command across a database
> link to copy the data from the standalone
> table you've just pulled from the partitioned
> table. (You could use a MERGE if the data
> is partly update, partly insert)
>
> truncate the standalone table (or rename
> it and keep a few historical copies just
> in case).

i was hoping of an efficient method.
i guess you recommend this way...
some people say to use updateable materialized view, i dont see how that way would be done.
updateable materialized view is 2-way, i only need 1 way.

cheers,
Mike

--
/             http://miccc.com                                      /