Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:11:25 +1000

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:40c058a4$0$1587$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> Exactly. and NOTHING to do with option 6 of "free as in sell" in ANY
dictionary.
> "Free software" does not mean free as in "no charge", it means free of
> proprietary licensing bindings. I guess the correct statement (without
> ellipsis!) should have been:
>
> Vendors of "Free Software Foundation" software.

Not really an improvement, since that makes FSF sound like the latest software MegaCorp on the block.

The FSF is selling an idea, not a product, nor software.

Or should that be "promoting"? Or dare I say "inspiring".

A few posts ago, you were jumping up and down with joy that someone had finally got "open source" correctly into the mix. Now it's apparently free software back on the menu.

I take it we now all accept that free software and open source software are not the same things?

Whether you know what phrase you'd be happy with any more, I'm certainly at a loss to work out what your point has been.

Regards
HJR