Re: database market share 2003

From: Philip Nelson <teamdba_at_scotdb.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:12:37 GMT

Blair Adamache wrote:

> Well, given the market share a freeware operating system has achieved,
> who knows?
>
> Mark A wrote:
>

>> "Blair Adamache" <badamache_at_2muchspam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Oh, does MySQL run on Windows?
>>>

>> I don't consider MySQL to be one of the major databases in terms of
>> market share, especially since it is freeware. I suppose from IBM's point
>> of view it is considered to be competition.

MySQL is not necessarily freeware : it is available under two licences (commercial and open source). Which one you choose depends on what you intend to do with the database.

It still has some way to go to compete with the "big players", but similar to the GNU/Linux operating system, progress is happening rapidly.

And I think it would surprise everyone to find out how many copies of MySQL are being used in anger around the world.

And "market share" of a database you can get for free is extremely difficult to measure using traditional methods. It's the same with Linux : the "market share" of Linux servers is tiny, especially when measured in dollars spent on buying shrink wrapped software. The Apache web server is another case in point : if we were to measure "market share" of Apache in terms of dollars spent in buying it then it would be nowhere. However a quick glance at Netcraft will show you that around 70% of the active websites in the world are being served by Apache.

Phil Received on Thu Jun 03 2004 - 17:12:37 CDT